Horror Literature Forum
Transparent
Bullet Edgar Allan Poe Library
Bullet Horror Classics Library
Bullet Grimm Fairy Tales
Bullet Horror Literature Forum
Bullet Horror Literature Quotes

Help! I need a Book!  
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Horror Literature Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2000 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm a junior in high school and I need to read a good horror novel for an upcoming term paper. I love anything related with horror and was wondering if anybody could suggest a good horror novel that i can use. There is a couple restrictions though, the book has to be pre-World War 2-era and around 100 pages long. If anybody can suggest any good titles like that, I would really appreciate it. Please e-mail me back at johnpef@enter.net or post a reply. Thanks, John

Submitted By: John Farkas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2000 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now, you narrowed it down pretty good and proper, didn't ya! We're more into contemporary horror over here. But don't think you can best us, bud, at least not me...oh no, never me:)

First of all, we need Hunting Girl over here. The earlier stuff you're looking for is her hunting grounds for sure. Hope she sees this and can offer help on the double soon as able.

I'd suggest THE GREAT GOD PAN by Arthur Machen, myself. Lush and lurid language, science gone awry, and a femme fatale to boot. This is a major work of horror that is a decendant from other main horror foundations, namely "Frankenstein" and "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde."

Now, where to find it?

Help yourself. I've got it in a reprint anthology edited by David G. Hartwell. But I'm not sending this to you mate. It's part of a series called Foundations of Fear, and I'd hate to lose it just to help out a puissant junior (Hehehe>joke). I think this would be a pleasant novel to do a paper on and it's within the frame you set in time and pages. I know I'd much rather do this than H. P. Lovecraft's AT THE MOUTAINS OF MADNESS. Arthur's much easier. Good luck...

Submitted By: Fenny

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2000 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I can find the books, i just need some sugestions. I am not looking for anybody to send me any books.I'll look into the GREAT GOD PAN. I hope Hunting Girl can also give me some ideas. Thanks again, John

Submitted By: John Farkas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2000 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John!

I'd recommend William Hope Hodgeson's The House On The Borderland. It's an excellent classic novel that has influenced countless modern horror writers. You can actually read it online! If you're intersted, go to the Masters of Terror website here:

http://pluto.spaceports.com/~mot/index.html

If you decide to give it a go, I hope you like it as much as I do.

Submitted By: Mark Sieber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2000 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John!

I'm going to have to go with Mark on this one. It's been a long time since I've read THE HOUSE ON THE BODERLAND but I remember loving it to death.

Submitted By: Mr Self Affliction

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2000 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, John!

I agree with Fenny - The Great Pan is just incredible, and incredibly influential. You could even compare parts of it to the Matrix (how's that for influential?). There is so much going on in that book that your head is spinning the first time you read it.

But, anything by Lovecraft is a good choice, too. Make sure you have your dictionary on hand when you read him - I always do!

Submitted By: Deena

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2000 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry James wrote a "ghost story" called The Turn of the Screw. It has to do with a psychologically disturbed governess,Bram Stoker's Dracula, Etc. is alwaysgood. I'm taking a class in college called American Horror Fiction so if you need any more ideas e-mail me.

Submitted By: Catherine Laughlin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2000 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm going to recommend a story that is usually requried reading in school. "Beowulf" . I read it for the first time this past summer, a requirement for British Lit, and I loved it.

Submitted By: psychoman1888

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2000 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yippee!! There's another high school student in here that's cool. Okay so I can't really help u out here hun but I just wanted to say I'm glad there is someone my age in here. And Fenny- don't be so mean.j/k Smile

Submitted By: Misty
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1