Bram Stoker (1847 - 1912), was a theatre manager in London before turning his talents to writing. After several unsuccessful projects, including a children's book, he authored the novel Dracula. Though not a great success during his own lifetime, the book set Stoker's course into full-time writing. Among his subsequent works were Jewel of the Seven Stars (filmed in 1972 as Blood From the Mummy's Tomb and in 1980 as The Awakening) and Lair of the White Worm (filmed in 1988 by Ken Russell). Stoker died a full decade before the filming of Murnau's Nosferatu, the first film version of Dracula. He would never know how influential his creation would become.
Bram Stoker's ashes (along with those of his son) are contained in a heavy marble box on the third floor of the East Columbarium at Golders Green Crematorium. Visitors must ask to be escorted to the spot, as there are fears that attempts could be made to vandalize it.
Also interred in Golders Green Crematorium are the ashes of German-born actor, Conrad Veidt. Though Veidt might be better known to the mainstream audience for his role of Major Strasser in 1942's Casablanca, horror fans are probably more familiar with Veidt's performance as the walking somnambulist in the 1920 seminal horror classic, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. The same year, Veidt took on the title roles of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (though the names were changed) in the now-lost F.W. Murnau adaptation of the popular Robert Louis Stevenson novel. Propelled by his success, Veidt went on to star in The Hands of Orlac (1924), Waxworks (1924), and The Man Who Laughs (1928).
An outspoken critic of the Nazi party, Veidt was forced to flee Germany when a contract was put out on his life. Veidt was the first choice of Universal President Carl Laemelle to play the title role of Dracula, a role that ultimately went to Bela Lugosi. Veidt passed away on April 3, 1943 from a heart attack while playing a round of golf in Los Angeles, California. He was only 50 years old at the time of his death. He was cremated in Los Angeles and the ashes were interred for a short time at the Ferncliff Cemetery there. They were later removed and ultimately came to Golders Green on April 3, 1998, where they are now housed in the Hall of Memory Columbarium.