This spot marks the former location of the old Alexian Brothers Hospital in Saint Louis, Missouri. At this location in 1949, a series of exorcisms were performed on a boy from Washington D.C., which successfully ended on April 18, 1949 at this very spot. The boy was reportedly moved between this location, a nearby residence (The Old Rectory at St. Louis Xavier College Church). Of the three locations, only the residence still survives. This exorcism would later serve the basis for the novel and movie, The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty.
April 18, 1949
On the day after Easter 1949 and after a month of exorcisms to remove the demon from the boy, the boy was placed at this location in the psych ward. He suffered a series of seizures and spells, which caused the priests to double their efforts. At 10:45, the boy fell lie completely still, only to awake seven minutes later and proclaim, "He's gone." The boy would later recount that he witnessed the devil, with some demons, engaged in a battle with the Archangel St. Michael, who would smile at the boy and say, "Dominus."
The building no longer exists and was torn down in the late 1970's. The reputed spot of the exorcism was said to have taken place on the fourth floor over what is now part of the parking lot. There is a legend that at the very spot on the property where the demon was exorcised, the asphalt is consistently cracked. Any attempts to repair the cracks have proved futile; as the cracks suddenly reappear only days after the repairs were made.